Thursday, October 05, 2006

Elite Running

The Twin Cities Marathon was Sunday and it was awesome! My neighbors congregated at the corner to watch the start of the race--we live near the 3 mile mark. This was the first time in 4 years that I was able to join them. But I was not interested in socializing--I had friends to watch out for! Before I get to my friends, here are pictures I was able to take of the front-runners. I didn't know who any of these runners were; I just took pictures. I knew one of them would be the winner. I watched in awe as they ran.

Ladies first:

Marla Runyan, age 37, first female, 2:32:16


Mary Akor, age 30, came in second, 2:33:49


Zoila Gomez (she's the one in front), age 27, ran in third, 2:35:25

Here are the men:

Mbarak Hussein, First PlaceMbarak Hussein, age 41, came in first -- 2:13:51. He wasn't leading when he ran by my corner but he was holding his own with men in their 20s and early 30s. He won not only the overall race, but also the master's division. Not bad for a day's work, but of course we know that it's not just about race day, it's all the time spent training for it.


Simon SaweSimon Sawe, 32, ran in second 2:14:08. His race number is 2, and keeping pace with him is Fasil Bizuneh, who came in fifth. According to the local news source, Sawe and Hussein are good friends. The image was too dark, so I lightened Sawe's face in Photoshop so that you can see his features. That's why it looks a little weird.


Ryan ShayThe guy in front is Ryan Shay, age 27. He finished in third place in 2:14:57. Trailing him is Chris Graff, 30, who placed sixth.


Jason LehmkuhleThis is Jason Lehmkuhle, 28. When I took this picture, he was the front runner. No other runner is even in this frame because he was so far ahead of everyone else. He finished in seventh place, which is why you should always start slow in marathons. Hussein, the winner, was behind all the men shown above.

8 comments:

Irene said...

I'm in awe of these people! By the time someone like me finishes, they've already gone home and showered, and probably could come back to see someone like me finish! Hehehehe... Thanks for posting these pictures!

Anonymous said...

I ran a half in a couple of hours and was happy. These people fly!!

Jessica DeLine said...

I've seen Ryan Shay in ads in runners magazines. Good for him for hanging in there in the top 3 with the Africans!

Anonymous said...

You have a future as a free lance photographer. My photo is not on your blog because I ran too fast and you were not in time for the shot.

Anonymous said...

Great photos! I'm sure the experience from the other side was alot different for you.

MNFirefly said...

Awesome photos! They all literately flew by!

Backofpack said...

Great pictures! Thanks for mentioning my inaugaural marathon in your last post - maybe that's where some of those new commenters came from. I hope you had fun watching instead of running - I think it's pretty fun to be a spectator and cheer everyone in.

Rhea said...

Nice pix! And congrats to the front runners, esp. the 1st place male and female winners. Age ain't nothing but a number, baby!